Today's installment will take a break from the techy stuff and focus on something a little more entertaining. It won't increase your productivity, in fact it will probably cause a drop. But hey, its a lot of fun.
I was never much of a pro sports guy, in fact until APX paid for my ticket last year I had never been to a pro sports game. But a few years ago a few guys at NetVision decided to do a fantasy football league. They needed a few extras so I joined. I decided to sign-up for a public team too so I could play around, make mistakes, and get a feel for how things work. That year my public team took second out of twelve and my NetVision team took third of eight. Now I'm hooked. I went on the next season to manage two public basketball teams and took first and third. This past season my head to head basketball teams took first, first and second, including a first place in a league of guys from APX who actually know sports and watch these games. But enough of my bragging.
In fantasy sports you join a league of up to twelve other teams. You then select a team of real life players and based on how well they play you either get points (roto league) or you go directly against another team for the week (head to head league). Towards the end of the season there are a few weeks of playoffs and a champion is crowned.
You don't have to be a big sports guy to like fantasy sports. Its free to play, you don't have to refer five friends, and you can spend as little or as much time on it as you like. You can log on once a week and set your line-up, or you can be on there every day proposing trades and researching the waivers. You don't have to watch any of the games, or you can follow them closely rooting for your guys.
Personally I use yahoo, but there are lots of sites that offer fantasy sports. On yahoo you can manage teams year round. Of course they have the big three: NFL, NBA, MLB, but they also have hockey, nascar, golf, tournament and bowl pickems, and other games.
I probably spend more time than I should playing fantasy sports, but hey its a lot of fun. If anyone is interested in joining a league with me let me know and I'll send ya the details.
Overall Rating (0 = worst/hard, 4 = best/easy)
Set-up 4 / 4
Maintenance 4 / 4
Usefulness 1 / 4
Enjoyment 4 / 4
Time
13 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment