Tools

This is a running list I plan to update occasionally with links to software tools that I use to diagnose or repair computers. I know that this probably isn't very interesting for anyone else (unless you fix computers too) but hey, the interesting stuff is over on the family blog.

Memtest
Bootable cd that checks your physical RAM for errors

KeyFinder Pro 2007
Find your key for Microsoft products

PC Login Now
I haven't used this one, but it could be useful. Deletes the old password on XP or Vista. Then you can reset it. Appears to be a boot CD.

OphCrack
I have used this one, it finds the password and displays it. Works on most basic passwords. Bootable linux CD.

Norton Ghost and Acronis True Image
Neither of these are free, but they can come in very handy. I've never used Acronis, but it's on the list to try out. They're a partition, drive copy tool. I very much want to start doing this on all fresh OS installs once they're up and working.

CCleaner
Clears off garbage and temp files.

Folder2ISO
Great standalone app for creating an .iso from any folder. Quick and simple, no install needed.

0 comments: